Let’s Speak Better!!

 English language is considered the lingua franca which is a connecting link between the people all around the world. It is one of the most widely used language all over the world either as a first language or second language. It has gained the status of a global language in the contemporary world. I would like to share some information regarding the uses of English language through this blog.

There are different types of English and the two main types that are commonly used in ESL classrooms are American English and British English. American English differs from British English in spelling, pronunciation and vocabulary. Let’s see how certain things differ in names in British and American English.

American

British

Truck

Lorry

Cab

Taxi

Garbage

Rubbish

Vacation

Holiday

Counterclockwise

Anticlockwise

Chips

Crisps

 

 

 

Idioms are words or phrases which are figurative in meaning and does not literally mean by what the words or phrases are. Use of idioms makes our English sound more impressive. Here are some of the idioms in English and their meaning.

Idioms

Meanings

It’s all Greek to me

I can’t understand anything

Break a leg!

Good luck!

Not a rocket science

Not so difficult

Can talk for England

Can talk hours and hours

Have bigger fish to fry

Have more important things to do

I’m all ears

I’m listening carefully

Once in a blue moon

Rarely

Lips are sealed

Keeping a secret

 

It is always better to avoid the use of ‘very’ to sound more formal while speaking English. Here are a few one word substitutes for the words with ‘very’

Informal English

Formal English

Very calm

Serene

Very ugly

Hideous

Very small

Petite

Very funny

Hilarious

Very quiet

Hushed

Very rich

Wealthy

Very expensive

Costly

Very dirty

Filthy

Very tall

Towering

Very easy

Effortless

Very wet

Soaked

Very slow

Sluggish

Very good

Excellent

Very stupid

Idiotic

 

Certain English phrases we commonly use are spoken in a different way by the native English speakers. Below given are a few of them.

Common phrases

Native Speakers

I haven’t seen you in ages

Long time no see!

I understand you

I feel you

I’ll pay the bill

It’s on me

I made a big mistake

I screwed up

I’m very hungry

I’m starving

Please keep the secret

Mum’s the word

Send me a message later

Hit me up later

I don’t know

Beats me

I don’t have any money

I’m broke

 

English is a beautiful language just like many other languages. It always has a scope for improvisation. Listening and reading are the best ways to improve the quality of our language. Better listeners can only be better speakers.

Sabina, 

Assistant Professor of English

Al Shifa College of Arts and Science

Keezhattor, Perinthalmanna

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

എതിരില്ലാത്ത എതിര്

കുറഞ്ഞുവരുന്ന മാനുഷിക മൂല്യങ്ങളിലേക്ക്...

Ensuring Integrity: Best Practice to Prevent Exam Malpractices