Beetle Day


The brittle beetle was lost inside my room

I didn’t know how she got there

Her first bite was felt in deep sleep

I had to pluck her from the cotton dress

The beetle beats were felt on the finger-tips

while leaving her on the floor.


She reminded me of a friend;

We call her the worm-lover. 

Once she has shown us how to pet a worm!

This green guy had tiny legs,

But was lying upside down. She took him gently between her fingers and expressed her delightful love for him. That's the day we learnt to love worms.


I let go of my beetle and moved on

As if she never came.

But she wouldn’t forget me. The next day, I felt her inside the pleats of my favourite green saree.

She was digging at my skin through the clothing. Standing in front of the closed doors of the temple,

Waiting among the dazed devotees

For the pooja to be over,

To see the lighted shiva,

I didn’t know what to do.

The cheek of her!

I was angry

I’ve managed to get her out with a swift hand

And forced her to let go of the skin on my finger-tips.


The indignant friend never came back...


 Renjitha. K. R, Asst. Professor in English, Shifa College of Arts and Science, Kizhattur, Perinthalmanna

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

എതിരില്ലാത്ത എതിര്

കുറഞ്ഞുവരുന്ന മാനുഷിക മൂല്യങ്ങളിലേക്ക്...

Ensuring Integrity: Best Practice to Prevent Exam Malpractices