Lights which Lighted Me

 

               

With a cup of coffee, I was scrolling through the chat box. There is a message in Achu’s school group. ‘On occasion of Teacher’s Day, students can bring their drawings, stories or poems tomorrow’.

“Achu, what are you making for your teacher for tomorrow?”

“Nothing, I have no time” he continued with his usual fitness exercises.

“Why are you saying like this? I will help you, can we?”

“No”

I was the first one in my family sent to a CBSE school, my mother cannot follow my NCERT text books even though she tried to teach me. My father was a merchant, he cleared my doubts rarely when he gets any off days like hartal or solar eclipse. My primary teachers taught me well and created a strong base, even my childish mind felt badly towards some teachers prejudice over some students who bring sweets and pen when their father come from abroad.

 My favorite teacher Sideeque sir taught me mathematics. He was very strict always with a cane and sharp eyes. The way he taught is the reason why I liked mathematics. when I was in fifth standard one day, he called me to office to question me about love affair of two students. I was shivering with tears and said “I don’t know”. He shouted at me “raise your hands are you protecting them?”.  I tightly closed my eyes and showed my hand, it was first time I was showing my hand Infront of his cane, there were only me in my class who haven’t tasted his cane and it was my promise I will never. I sobbed and waited for punishment, I slightly opened my eye and saw he raising the stick above his head and bringing towards my palm. I closed my eyes the very same moment, felt to go beneath earth.

Shocked with freeze I don’t understand for a couple of second what was happening. He pat on my shoulder and hold me tightly and whispered “open your eyes don’t be afraid”. I covered my face with my hands and started crying loudly. No words can express the feeling of that moment simply saying it was felt as if in heaven. Now he is a well-known Circle Inspector in my locality. 

 High school teachers including principal created another mile stone in my life. Even there were spoon feeding they provided golden opportunities. First time when I forget to write my English assignment teacher asked to meet her. She gave a warm warning and advised me to unfriend Liya. Liya was living with her step mother, her life stories lead to create sympathy towards her. Her appearance and behavior helped her to create a big friend circle. So why teacher asked to stop friendship with her? I simply avoided her advice. My performance in English half yearly examination was very poor. I haven’t faced such a poor failure in my life, I accepted it as my teacher’s revenge. It took so many days to identify the mask of my friend who was cheating me wisely. I approached teacher with tears. “See, I have given you many warnings; any way leave it. Be with your old friends itself. Study well, you are a good student”. I felt ashamed to misunderstand my teacher.

Whenever I go Infront of my school, I eagerly look there to see our Sulaiman sir even though he is not working there. He taught me phonetics. Every day he used to welcome all students with his pleasant smile. He had never called my full name but called me ‘Saju’ very sweetly. He was the hero of students and the way he taught will never forget till death.

Graduate teachers Shahila mam and Fasina mam are still my well-wishers, who enlightened my life after marriage. Last year, Shahila mam called me for her son’s marriage and introduced me to her whole friends and family very proudly saying “this is our best student”. I wonder whether I could become such a great teacher.

It was five years before I have a strong desire to see the Raman sir, he was a man of courage with powerful state. I find out his house with the help of my friends. I went there without informing anyone. I have only one aim to see my sir at that moment itself. His son was our senior and daughter, our junior. He is the man who molded me in this way. He used to say “there are some CBSE students here who have studied 12 years in well-known English medium schools except one, no one can write a sentence in English. You just waste your parent’s money. That is why I sent my son and daughter in government school.” My friends discussed this even in our last month meetup.

Even after thirteen years, he hasn’t forgotten my name even he is very weak and tired, “I was sure you will come here one day to see me”. I shivered with happiness. He called his son and asked “don’t you remember her? where is Arya? don’t you remember? This is my child.

They were excited to see his behavior because for last few years he was not able to remember properly or recognize family members. He showed me old photos, discussed about teachers and friends. I wonder how he recall it!

He used to ask me to go call center, be a good anchor or go for IAS. I was unable to select any. He promoted my presentation skill and writing skill. He helped me to have excellent performance in district level competitions. It was when I was in plus two my marriage was fixed by my parents. When I invited my teachers, he hold me and cried like a child in the staffroom infront of all teachers. He was really like a grandfather to me.

When I leave there, he asked me to contact regularly but I haven’t gone there then.

"What are you thinking mama"?  Achu asked

"I am thinking of you" ?

"Teachers day"

"Yes"

"What is in your college for tomorrow?"

"I don’t know? May be students have planned something".

"We are also like that"

"What?"

"We have planned but our teachers don’t know."

Ms. Sajna Mini Mol, Assistant Professor of Commerce, Al Shifa College of Arts and Science, Kizhattoor, Perinthalmanna

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

എതിരില്ലാത്ത എതിര്

കുറഞ്ഞുവരുന്ന മാനുഷിക മൂല്യങ്ങളിലേക്ക്...

Ensuring Integrity: Best Practice to Prevent Exam Malpractices